"Although I speak from my own experience, I feel that no one has the right to impose his or her beliefs on another person. I will not propose to you that my way is best. The decision is up to you. If you find some point which may be suitable for you, then you can carry out experiments for yourself. If you find that it is off no use, then you can discard it." Dalai Lama...

Thursday 14 October 2010

Tomato sauce packed with veg...

I made a large pan of tomato sauce this afternoon.
I first heard of it a couple of years ago when I was at a friend's house when she made some up.
It is so simple and if you have children who don't like to eat veg it might be a good way to make it palatable to them.The first time I made it I added it to spag bol and Milly didn't notice the difference. I continued to add it to chilli and spag bol and on the rare occasions Milly would have Pizza I used it to top the pizza.I make meatballs and use the sauce for them with tagliatelle. Milly knows the sauce contains veg but it can't be seen and doesn't change the taste of her favourite dishes so she is happy to eat it.

Today I used two carrots (organic washed but not peeled) 2 green peppers,1 onion, 2 small parsnips, 1/2 a small swede, 6 or 7 mushrooms, 1/2 savoy cabbage 2 tins of plum tomatoes, then 2 tins of water,a heaped teaspoon of garlic paste or 2 big cloves, a good squeeze of tomato paste and a dollop of tomato sauce.


Stir it all - bring to the boil and then simmer gently with the lid on for a couple of hours.


Blitz and you have a rich, deeply flavoured Tomato sauce. I store it in portions in the freezer - lasts for many meals during the next few months....


 

I make a spag bol or chilli as I would usually do and add this as an extra to the normal sauce.I think it adds a real depth to the final dish. As well as the benefit of all those veggies, it actually tastes great...

3 comments:

stefndawniy said...

yummy :)
your new template is really yummy too Lynn I LOVE it :-) xx

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great idea! Definitely in my recipes book now, specially with Sarah not loving vegs.
Thank you!
Hugs xx
Pat

PixieMum said...

This is a different recipe form the tomato sauce I make. Looks very good, and I like the idea of cabbage included.

Could it be made in a pressure cooker? I'm bit concerned that rapid steaming would mar the flavour, I assume the gentle simmer would be better.

Tomato sauce made with red lentils is delicious too, although requires plenty of herbs for flavour.

Will be a good way for grown up kids to eat their greens.

Thank you, PixieMum