"Although I speak from my own experience, I feel that no one has the right to impose his or her beliefs on another person. I will not propose to you that my way is best. The decision is up to you. If you find some point which may be suitable for you, then you can carry out experiments for yourself. If you find that it is off no use, then you can discard it." Dalai Lama...

Sunday 12 September 2010

Final furlong of the re-organisation...

At the beginning of 2009 we began a major re-organisation of the house.We are blessed to have a nice sized house and have 3 reception rooms.The space just wasn't getting used properly though and we had furniture that was just not suitable for our needs. We needed storage and bookcases that could provide easy access to the growing number of books and other paraphernalia associated with home education...

Around April we had a few rooms done and just had the living room to finish. that didn't happen until the September and by Christmas we were straight again.

that is apart from the spare room which had ended up being the dumping ground.
I have put it off all this time - I am the queen of procrastination ;-)
I have had half hearted attempts at it and have set aside days to clear it but something else has always taken priority...

Today was the day I finally got motivated to attack it.

Alan took Emily to her riding lesson, I put on some music and off I went ..

There were all sorts of piles on the floor, vases with very dusty silk flowers and wind chimes that had hung in Milly's room when she was a toddler - they were never going to be used again but I have always put off parting with them..


Lamp without shade - waiting around just in case I could find the space to put it.



Bag


upon bag


of clothing , cushions, curtains, fancy dress clothes and ornaments passed to Emily from Alan's Mum and my Nana when they died...




Curtains from the living room, blackout blind from Milly's room ,pine curtain poles and roman blinds that hung in the kitchen years ago...


It was time to be ruthless. I cleared bag by bag and eventually some surfaces were clear..



Haven't seen the top of this set of drawers for over a year!

Aside from the things I have kept to go to the car boot sale,I organised bags of rubbish and have a bag for the charity shop and a large bag of clothes that I will list on Ebay ...



When we get back from Center Parcs we will have a couple of car boots and then whatever is left is going to charity.Just need a single bed and we will have a spare room again.

So *only* eighteen months after starting reorganising we are on the last leg...

3 comments:

Sam said...

Only 18 months sounds pretty good to me. I'm looking at a loft which has been filling up for 3 years - with things that are to go on ebay! One day... ;-)

Sam x

stefndawniy said...

how lovely to have space! We only have kitchen and living roon downstairs , it means we're always cosy or down right on top of each other lol
You're doing well :-) xx

Anonymous said...

I have been doing exactly the same. I find I pack and carry stuff that I haven't used in years from one house to the next one: so I've been absolutely ruthless and got rid of a ton of stuff on Ebay.

Trouble is, I find I like finding stuff to sell on Ebay and have now started a little business in it lol!

Shirl x