"Although I speak from my own experience, I feel that no one has the right to impose his or her beliefs on another person. I will not propose to you that my way is best. The decision is up to you. If you find some point which may be suitable for you, then you can carry out experiments for yourself. If you find that it is off no use, then you can discard it." Dalai Lama...

Saturday 5 January 2008

Animal antics

Today started with a good lie in for me as Alan got up to walk Beauty.
Emily woke up around 9 and crept downstairs thinking I was fast asleep,bless her she is so thoughtful.As it was I was deep in thought only with my eyes closed.
I have been thinking so much about alternative parenting my head is in a spin, we are having some challenging times at present,I think tiredness and excitement are still the main players (although Emily has been choosing to go to bed earlier lately) but it suddenly dawned on me yesterday that hormonal changes could also be playing a part in the behaviour.That came as a bit of a shock, if that is in fact what is happening it seems too soon!!! Need to gather some info for her...
Anyhow my mind has been working overtime trying to think of ways to stop falling into the same way of coping as in the past which has usually been to end up coercing her into the kind of behaviour I want.I have no answers as yet and feel added pressure because I am not at my most patient at present as the PMT I have been going through since well before Xmas is still going on, overdue by 3 weeks now ( not pregnant just Menopause) and I am feeling crap...

The rest of today has been spent getting the decs and tree down and having a good clean up,we have to finish off tomorrow because we broke off to go into town and Emily went to my sisters and for a drive up the fells to find some snow, most of it had gone unfortunately apart from two large snowmen that had been built so they were able to play with that and had a good snowball fight, built another one out of them and went in the stream and built dams...

We had lunch in town and exchanged the things from Xmas that didn't fit etc and then went onto the library,since watching The Golden Compass Emily has a daemon and it changes frequently but is often a Snow leopard and an otter,Emily and Alan watched a lovely documentary about snow leopards on TV last night and I had hoped to get a story about a snow leopard but was out of luck, although we managed to find a nice little book with easily digestible facts about otters and have requested Tarka the otter to read so it should be delivered to our local library next week.I may read it first to assess the ending as I have not read it and know it is sad but we have read a few books with sad endings and although we have had a good cry she has coped well .
I will get some other info off the PC about both and make up some word searches and crosswords to do if she wants to.I have found that when she is into a subject this can be a way to reinforce some of the facts in a way she enjoys doing and doesn't see as teaching.It is also possible that alongside the drawings we will do a story together with her words and me writing.

We have a very old book my mum gave to one of my cousins 1970 about animals of the wild and their young and she has always loved looking through it with us .These last few days she has spent along time looking through and asking for snippets to be read out about various animals . Tonight after a very busy day I could of done with a little time to chill but after trying to get to sleep she came back down and has been drawing from the book and chatting non stop about the animals,I know ,I know that's one of the great things about unschooling they can learn anytime!!!

No comments: