"Although I speak from my own experience, I feel that no one has the right to impose his or her beliefs on another person. I will not propose to you that my way is best. The decision is up to you. If you find some point which may be suitable for you, then you can carry out experiments for yourself. If you find that it is off no use, then you can discard it." Dalai Lama...

Sunday 27 April 2008

Experimentation of a different kind.

Fridays sleepover went off well,I did get a little annoyed at 11.30 when I went up to go to bed as they were talking very loudly and Al had to get up at 7 for work so I went in and reminded them again, then requested they keep their voices down and that if I had to come back in again I would not be very impressed,five minutes later all was quiet and they were fast asleep.It really wouldn't be a problem if their room was at the other end of the house but it isn't and Al really needs his beauty sleep ;-)).
A had to leave at 9.30 for her gymnastic lesson so after she had left we had a breather and decided that the planned activity, spending the day sorting toy boxes,was not something either of us wanted to do, so that job got put on the back burner and Milly said she would like to listen to her story CD whilst I washed up and hoovered around.

When I had finished I looked over and she had got down the drawing book I bought for Xmas(it is a step by step guide but proved to be too advanced for Milly at that time and she just got frustrated) she had a go at drawing a mermaid picture that she had wanted to draw at Christmas and although she didn't follow the steps she did draw the mermaid in her own style,she then cut round the drawing and stuck it on the wall in the dining room.She was very happy with the end product,and from my point of view it was good to see her using the book to guide her and not getting upset that her end product didn't look like the one in the book.

As she was listening to the tape and drawing another picture I started to take out some shaving foam and cornflour from the craft cupboard and got a mixing bowl and then put a cover on the table.It was at that point that she asked me what I was doing and I said I had a few things she might like to experiment with.I explained what I used cornflour for but said that I thought she might like to see what happened when water was added to it.Well she loved it and was amused for over an hour,experimenting in her own inimitable fashion.I had bought the things months ago and we had used the shaving foam once before to do some "painting" with and she enjoyed that but then I forgot about them and just remembered yesterday when I was thinking of things to do since we had the whole day to let things develop.






She added paint and normal flour to it and kept it out all afternoon and would just keep going back to it to add more to it or just to squidge it about.The top she is wearing( to be precise the top that is falling off her) was given to her by her 14 year old friend who no longer wanted it and although it is about 3 sizes too big for her she loves it and I have had to talk her out of actually leaving the house in it before!!

When Emily was squidging I went onto a website I had found a link to(sorry I can't remember the blog it came from)Steve Spangler Science,and found lots and lots of new experiments to do,some I have heard of before some I haven't I also like the fact you can watch a video clip of quite a lot of the experiments.

At some point in the afternoon Milly went to the top of the garden to sit at the grave of her rabbit Liz who died recently.It was pouring with rain but she put on her waterproof coat and sat out for 15 Min's or more and came in to tell me she had told Liz a funny story she had made up.

5 comments:

Grit said...

your photos of ordinary life always make it look fun! and i had forgotten the pleasures of gloop and shaving foam!

Lynn said...

I am glad things look fun, I often wish we could live an extraordinary life but ordinary is what we have to live most of the time,so a little gloopy fun can go a long way ;-))

Michelle said...

Messy stuff inside??????????

I will assemble and place outside :-). Forgot about shaving foam being fun. Will have to buy some.

Lynn said...

I know!!! Milly does have a tendancy to go over the top in the messy stakes but on this occasion I requested she keep the mess to a minimum and she was quite restrained and although the clothes needed washing and the carpet now has a few more stains it wasn't too bad.Much better for more free play outside though and I will do it again on a nice day.xx

Michelle said...

lol at the being quite restrained but carpet having a few more stains :-)

I won't even let Clo eat meringue indoors now. She will insist on crushing it with the raspberries and it's a very icky sticky situation on table, floor and child.