"Although I speak from my own experience, I feel that no one has the right to impose his or her beliefs on another person. I will not propose to you that my way is best. The decision is up to you. If you find some point which may be suitable for you, then you can carry out experiments for yourself. If you find that it is off no use, then you can discard it." Dalai Lama...

Thursday 1 October 2009

Terry Deary in the Telegraph.

I have seen a couple of Blogs  here  and  here  mention a link to Terry Deary article in the Telegraph and finally got time to read it today.I thought it was worth another link :-))

Here is a snippet about his veiws on school!

"I get 200 requests a year and the answer is no,” he says. “I detest schools with a passion. I’d rather cut off my left arm and eat it with Marmite than go into a school. And I don’t even like Marmite.


“Schools are an utter waste of young life. Learning things that will never be any use to you. The only reason they are there is to keep kids off the street. They were a Victorian invention. The Industrial Revolution took kids from their families and made the parents work in factories long hours. Then they said, ‘we can’t have these little kids working here.’ So what do we do? Lock them all up in the same room all day and we’ll call it school. I spent hours learning trigonometry, physics, none of which prepared me for life. Relationships, talking to people, managing money, planning your career, how to help someone who has cut their leg open. I have had to learn these things by default.

“There won’t be any schools in 25 years. There will be mentoring. Older people passing their skills on to younger people. Teachers know nothing about life and the real needs of pupils.”

We are great  fans of the DVD's and TV series.We have lots of the books but Milly prefers the visual!
Full article is in the link above.

3 comments:

Jax Blunt said...

He doesn't approve of home education either, think parents could be indoctrinating their offspring. Dunno what he thinks should happen tbh.

Lynn said...

Oh my! We were just talking about him at our group meeting and then I got round to reading this article.

Assumed someone with this viewpoint would support home ed!

Assumed to much obviously:-) Brought to mind a quote that was used when I was on any management training courses.Never assume anything because assume makes an ass of u and me!! xx

MillieMadHatter said...

that assume things from 8 simple rules!!!!